Our Service Events mainly focus on volunteering our time and skills to contribute to the betterment of our society. We extend our efforts towards lending a helping hand to our local charity organisations in the hopes that our members will feel like they are making a real positive impact in our world. 

2020

BCOM Orientation Day Expo 2020

25th February 2020

Kicking off 2020 at the University of Melbourne, Wilson Hall was bustling with excitement and energy as commerce students thronged the hall, wide-eyed and expectant to find out more about the student clubs and societies on display. Our BAP Executive Committee were excellent at sharing to curious students the rich history of Beta Alpha Psi, the exclusive events organised specially for our members and the enriching experience added to one’s university life. It was a great success as we got the chance to spread the word and get connected with those interested.

2019

Life's Little Treasures

30th September 2019

On the first day of our BAP Leadership Day event, members had the privilege to volunteer at Life’s Little Treasures for two shifts, 2-3 hours each. Members started their shift learning about what Life’s Little Treasures does as a not for profit organisation, providing support and education for families with premature or sick children. The rest of the shift was spent packing “Little Bags of Calm”, mindfulness kits for the families to exercise much-needed self care. Tasks included sticking teabags onto card, packing pocket hearts into plastic bags and preparing Milestone cards for families to celebrate milestones with their child.

All members truly enjoyed the experience giving back to the community, and it was great to spend time getting to know students from BAP Monash University too!

A huge thank you to the Committee members of BAP UniMelb and Monash who made this wholesome event possible.

Connor's Run 2019

15th September 2019

Our BAP members had the opportunity to volunteer at the annual Connor’s Run 2019 charity run that had over 4000 participants. This event was organised by the Robert Connor Dawes Foundations (RCD) supports pediatric brain matters in the areas of Research, Care and Development to fund the science to end brain cancer and support patients in the meantime.

Some of our members signed up as course volunteers and ensured the safety of the participants as well as the public. Our other members helped serve refreshments to the wonderful runners and stayed back to clean up at the wrap up of the event.

Overall, BAP UniMelb members had a fantastic experience setting a vibrant atmosphere for an amazing event while supporting a great cause!

Salvation Army Lighthouse Cafe

20th May 2019

Today, the Xi Lambda Chapter joined The Salvation Army Melbourne Project 614 Lighthouse Cafe helping prepare meals, take orders, run food and do dishes in an effort to support marginalised and homeless members of our community.

The morning service saw 112 people join us for breakfast and the lunch service saw another 180. Of the group of people we helped, approximately 90% are those without a safe place to call home and the other 10% are those members of our community who are lonely and do not have the support network so many of us are fortunate to have.

Many of our guests are subject to, or have been subjected to, drug and alcohol addiction primarily stemming from childhood trauma. Others are subject to generational homelessness. These important members of our community are lacking stability, have no close family or friends and as such do not have that all important network to keep them out of homelessness.

All members of the community are welcomed to the cafe with open arms. The cafe works as a table service, with waiters coming and taking guests orders, running their meals and clearing tables afterwards. This works to promote a sense of equality for everyone.

We had a fun, exciting and memorable day and will continue to act with the interests of all members of the community in mind. We would like to thank the team at the Lighthouse Cafe for kindly welcoming us to their space and team today.

Sea Shepherd Beach Clean

31st March 2019

Our first service event of the year and we are off to a great start with Sea Shepherd! The Sea Shepherd do amazing work fighting for our marine flora and fauna and this beach clean up will go a long way to aiding our marine environment.

Thank you to our wonderful members who braved the cold this morning and took to cleaning up a local wildlife area!

It is incredible the difference that can be made from a few hours of hard work! Thank you to Sea Shepherd Australia for putting in countless hours of effort every day to ensure the health and safety of our flora and fauna and for inspiring us to continue doing what we can to make a difference.

A little certainly goes a long way!